Sunday, August 29, 2010

When all else fails. . . . . . you must use Stealth!

I'm gonna start by saying I am not currently sponsored or endorsed by Bass Striker Lures, this is just simply my review and recommendation of this product, as well as, tips on how to use it. That being said, the Stealth Worm by Bass Striker Lures is by far my favorite lure to entice a bass with when the going gets tough out on the water.

When I first started bass fishing I would watch guys like Kevin Van Dam on T.V.. I would watch him throw a crankbait or a spinnerbait, covering water as fast as he can. Nothing is wrong with doing that, hey, it works tremendously for him, but when they're not chasing fast moving baits you have to make them bite. And, unless you're born with it in your bones, it's hard to do that crankin' a big ol' plug or burning a spinnerbait. I recently had the oppurtunity to fish with a man that's pretty well known and has seen his share of success on the local bass trails; Mr. Al Leach. Before we hit the water I was expecting him to show me about how KVD does it. Boy was I wrong, but what he taught me has helped me catch WAY more fish. He told me to put down that power fishing stuff and to pick up my spinning reel and down size my baits and weights, and he promised I would catch more fish. Well. . . . . he was right. Now I'm gonna teach you about the lure he introduced to me, and the ways I fish it that have given me the most success.

The Stealth Worm

This is a very slender worm that's 7" in length, and the tail of it is filled with air so that it will float up. That is one of the key elements that this bait has to entice those bass to kill it, whether its fished on a Texas Rig or (my favorite) the Shaky Head.Whichever technique I use, it's almost necessary to use a spinning reel. I have mine rigged on a 6' 10'' rod with 8 lb test line. I also never go over a 1/8 oz weight. The colors pictured at the top of the page are the ones I always have in my box (Black, Mocassin, June Bug, and Watermelon). I have found that June Bug will produce in just about any situation. Now, I will go over both the Texas Rig and the shaky head techniques with you.

Texas Rig

Anybody who has fished for bass has more than likely thrown a Texas Rig into the water. It is when you rig a bullet weight above the hook, and rig the worm weedless onto the hook (see picture, top bait). You can peg the sinker or leave it un-pegged so the the weight can slide freely on the line. I prefer no peg so that it gives it a little more action. Cast it to cover and work it very slowly back to you, hopping it, dragging it, giving it a slight shake now and again. Now remember this is finesse fishing. You're targeting those inactive, lockjaw bass. Don't be scared to let it sit in one spot for a while. The tail on this worm will stand up and can be very enticing just sitting there. Watch your line. I have had bites that you couldn't feel, you could just see the line start swimming off. When you think there is a fish on it, give it time get the whole thing in its mouth (I usually wait about 5 seconds) then set the hook.

Shaky Head

The shaky head (see picture, bottom bait) is a jig head that allows you to rig your worm so that it stands up under water (which makes this worm an excellent choice) and shake it in one spot, giving it a very tantalizing action. This is probably my favorite way to rig this bait. I still rig this worm weedless style, even though it is not quite as snag proof as the Texas Rig. You will actually fish this pretty much like a texas rig, except I don't like to hop it quite as much. I'll cast to a like pice of cover, let it sit, shake it for 5 or so seconds, then slowly drag it a few inches and repeat. When you're shaking it, you want to leave a slight bow in your line, and you DO NOT have to shake it hard. Just very lightly shake the tip of your rod. Let the bait do the majority of the work. Again, this is finesse fishing; the slower the better.

This bait has worked it's way to the top of my arsenal, and I'm sure if you give it a try it will become one of your favorites. This is a deadly worm, and those are two deadly presentations to add to it. But, don't be afraid to expand it, such as rigging it on a drop shot or a Carolina Rig.

I hope these tips will help you put a few more bass in the boat on your next outing. Please, you're encouraged to give me feedback or ask any questions. Just drop a comment or find me on facebook. ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment