Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Lessons in River Bassin'

            River fishing. You either love it or hate. It is a completely different way to fish compared to natural lakes and reservoirs, so you’ve always thought. Truth be told, if you learn the river and transfer that knowledge to a lake, you will more than likely start jackin’ a few more jaws.
I, myself, have been practicing on the river. Breaking it down piece by piece. Learning little subtleties to look for. But, I haven’t been doing my learning in the front of my bass boat. I haven’t been driving to any major river.  I have done my learning from the banks of the Little Choctawhatchee River on the border of Dale and Houston County. To break down the term “little”; the average depth (this is a rough estimate on this average) is about 3 ft, you can pitch a jig across the river in most spots, and there are some spots even a kayak would have a hard time getting by. Now, before you say I’m crazy and that there can’t possibly be any good fish in there, let me tell you it is chock FULL of Alabama Spotted Bass. If you have never caught one of these on’ry fish, you are just missing out.
I’m going to post a few articles about what I’ve learned on this little river. I’m going to start by breaking down the little things, then how the exact same things are taking place on a bigger river, and finally show you how you can transfer that to a lake. I really hope to hear feedback on what you think, and any questions. Even though I am not a well decorated pro, or a seasoned veteran, I do believe I have quite a few facts that will help you catch more fish, and THAT is my main goal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment